[EM] I'm not going to waste more time replying to Russ

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 10 21:50:57 PDT 2005

As I said in the subject line, I'm not going to waste any more time replying
to Russ.

For one thing, I've already answered all of his recycled and re-used
objections to wv, and to whatever else I propose.

For another thing, it's pretty obvious that Russ suddenly discovered that he
opposed wv, my criteria, and whatever else I propose, immediately after I
withdrew permission for him to have my articles at his website, though, just
before then, he advocated all those things that I propose. Well, I should
add that his discovery that he opposed wv was announced immediately after I
told him that I had introduced wv.

But I will briefly comment on Russ's advocacy of methods that combine
ranking with ratings. Kevin had proposed such a method, and later Russ
announced his invention of that method on EM. Later it was pointed out to
Russ that that method had been proposed on EM before Russ mentioned it. But
even after that, Russ continues calling it by his own name for it.

I'm not saying that methods that use rankings and Approval votes can't be
good, but they're likely to run into the 1-person-1-vote objection that
causes so many people to object to Approval. As I said, though the objection
is fallacious, a large percentage of people express opposition to Approval
because of it.

I don't doubt that the methods, especially DMC, that combine rankings with
Approval might have many good properties. But, if one is going to propose a
rank method, why not propose one that meets SFC? I'm not saying that DMC
doesn't meet SFC. But very few non-wv methods meet SFC.

Of course not everyone agrees with me that it's desirable for a majority to
be completely free of need to do other than vote sincerely, under the
conditions for which that can be guaranteed. So I accept the fact that, for
that reason, not everyone agrees with me that SFC compliance is desirable.

Mike Ossipoff