[EM] About the demonstration that Plurality fails PSBC

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:31:28 PDT 2005

For my demonstration that Plurality fails PSBC, I should say something
abaout PSBC's premise stipulation that the X>Y MPP is not in a cycle of MPPs
that are all at least as strong as it is.

With voted MPVs in Purality, it's simple: If a majorilty vote for X, then
there can't be a path of MPVs from Y to X, because no majority vote Y over
anyone, and no majority vote anyone over X.

But, for the MPPs mentioned in PSBC's premise, let's just say that there is
no path, from Y to X, of MPPs that are all at least as strong as the X>Y
MPP. That assumption in no way affects the conlusions that I reached in the
demonstration.

That's because:
In my demonstration that I posted, I told why, in my example, a majority
must vote for Y. Obviously that means that Y wins. The matter of whether or
not there's a path, from Y to X, of MPPs that are all at least as great as
the X>Y MPP has absolutely no effect on the fact that Y wins. Plurality
looks at whom people vote for, and I told why a majority vote for Y. The
matter of whether or not there's a path, from Y to X, of MPPs at least as
great as the X>Y MPP doesn't decide how people vote. How those Y voters, X
voters and Z voters vote is constrained by the stipulation that no one
falsifies a preference. That stipulation requires them to vote for their
favorite. And because that means that the X and Z voters split their vote in
half, with 30% for X and 30% fopr Z, and 60% vote for Y, it means that Y
wins. Regardless of whether or not there's a path, from Y to X, of MPPs that
are all at least as strong as the X>Y MPP.

Mike Ossipoff