[EM] Definite Majority Choice

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Apr 4 23:39:03 PDT 2005

I was just looking at the wiki page for DMC:

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Definite_Majority_Choice

I saw this statement:

"DMC chooses the same winner as (and could be considered equivalent in
most respects to) Ranked Approval Voting (RAV) (also known as Approval
Ranked Concorcet), and Pairwise Sorted Approval (PSA)."

Do we know for sure that DMC always chooses the same winner as RAV and
PSA? If so, then in what respects are they *not* equivalent?

If these methods are equivalent, then I think we need to eventually try
to somehow agree on a common name for public promotion. We might also be
wise to agree on the simplest explanation, with the more complicated
explanations used as "backup" material for those who are intellectually
curious.

The actual name and acronym may be critical to the public salability of
the method, so we need to be very careful in selecting it. We shouldn't
rush into it. "Definite Majority Choice" seems too generic and not
descriptive enough to me, but I am not necessarily opposed to it. I like
RAV (which I proposed myself), but I don't consider it an ideal name
either. In any case, we must avoid at all cost using the word "dropping"
in the name (it sounds too much like something birds do).

One of these days I should crank out a list of possible names/acronyms
of this method for discussion and perhaps an eventual vote.

--Russ