[EM] Re: proper Borda implementation

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Sat Sep 25 14:40:43 PDT 2004

On Sep 25, 2004, at 1:49 PM, Dgamble997 at aol.com wrote:

> election-methods-electorama.com-request at electorama.com writes:
>

> [truncated borda ballots]
>
>  Any thoughts as to which is better?
>
>  What do people who advocate Borda as a serious method (i.e. Donald
> Saari) say you should do in situations like this?
>
>  If there is a consensus of opinion amongst Borda supporters as to
> what you do regarding truncated ballots then a proper implementation
> of Borda will follow that consensus.
>
>  David Gamble----

I believe that's why he was asking here.  That said, I don't think
there's a right answer.  I've looked into this before and Borda
advocates usually say that Borda requires full ballots, end of story.

There's also a third option - take the points that would generally be
awarded to the unlisted candidates, and re-allocate them to the
candidates you've ranked.  And there, either give an equal amount to
each candidate, or allocate them proportionally.  And then there's the
matter of choosing the proportion.  If you rank 3 candidates out of
five, would the proportion be 3:2:1, or 5:4:3 ?

It's the same flaw as always with rated ballots, there's never a 100%
right way to normalize things.  You're either choosing accurate voter
intent, or equal ballot power.  But out of all the above choices, I'd
probably pick the 3:2:1 option.  I'm just thinking of the guy that only
cares about two candidates in a 100-candidate election; one he loves
and one he sorta likes, the rest irrelevant .  He'd probably want his
power to be allocated 2:1 rather than 100:99.

Curt