[EM] Re: electoral college

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Thu Sep 16 17:51:15 PDT 2004

rob at karmatics.com writes:
>So.....here's a weird little ammendment to your plan

	... I think proportional EV allocation is not my own plan; my plan was EV
allocation by popular vote.

>that states might
>find more attractive.  What if, say, California proposed a law like
>this :
>"we will have proportional allocation if at least 4 (out of 5) of
>nevada, oregon, new mexico, arizona and washington do as well"

	Yes, I meant to imply that this was a possibility, although it didn't
seem terribly likely. I suppose that it could happen, though. But at this
point, might it not just be simpler for states to award their EV's to the
winner of the popular vote?
	Still, it might be fun to play around for different formulas for
implementing it. Having a 4 out of 5 type rule would complicate things a
bit.

James

P.S. Your example states aren't terribly realistic, since they are all
swing states and California is not, plus they don't sum close to 55 EV's.
Better would be six out of seven of {Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi,
Louisiana, South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee} = 64 electoral votes, 6/7
minimum is 49, maximum is 58; 7/7 is 64.