[EM] Re: paradigms...

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Sep 8 17:22:11 PDT 2004

Rob wrote:

True, and you shouldn't be able to, because that is (in my opinion)
illogical and contradictory.

To which I reply "you are entitled to your opinion, but if you cannot prove
that all orderings of n-1 candidates by a single voter will be consistent
with the orderings of n candidates by THE SAME voter for ALL voters, then
your opinion doesn't count."

I might think my hypothetical voter is illogical, too, but that's not the
question. The question is can you reconstruct the original ballots from a
pair-wise matrix? If not, then you can't claim a result based upon the
pair-wise matrix is the "will of the people."