[EM] Re: Kerry-Nader negotiation initiative

RLSuter at aol.com RLSuter at aol.com
Fri Sep 3 23:08:13 PDT 2004

You misinterpreted my message, though I'll admit I could
have phrased it better. I neither said nor meant to imply
that Nader is "the most important third-party candidate
in recent history." I said that Nader is the worst instance
of the spoiler problem in recent history. Actually, I was
mistaken about that, because I strongly suspect that Perot
did much more to spoil the 1992 and 1996 elections than
Nader did to spoil the 2000 election or than he threatens
to spoil the 2004 election. What is unique about Nader
is the extraordinary attention that has been paid to his
spolier role, along with the lengths to which Kerry
supporters and anti-Bush progressives have gone to
exclude Nader from ballots and to discredit him with
arguments of all kinds, many of them either totally
spurious or extremely debatable. There is even
reasonable doubt that Nader actually did spoil the
2000 election. A recent study (sorry I don't have
time to get a citation) showed that the additional
people Nader's campaign brought to the polls, many
of whom ended up voting for Gore as a last minute
decision, may have helped Gore more than the Nader
campaign hurt him overall and that if Nader had not
run, Bush might actually have won decisively. All
the pundits have ridiculed such arguments, but few
have taken them seriously and looked at them
carefully.

-Ralph Suter