[EM] Re: voting machines

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Sep 3 13:59:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:09:46 +0200 David GLAUDE wrote:

> Rob Brown wrote:
>
>> Dave Ketchum <davek <at> clarityconnect.com> writes:
>>
>>> Agreed BUT:
>>>
>>> If someone writes usable code, AND makes it public, what stops
>>> someone else copying the code without paying those who did the work?
>>

> The main reason for not copying the code is copyright law.

Hard to measure, if I copy the design, whether that is close enough to
violate copyright - and - if I keep what I did a secret, as some vendors
are doing, harder to measure.

Where we ought to be is ALL the code is PUBLIC, and those demonstrating

doing useful work get paid.

> You can only do what the licence of the code or what the author of the
> code say you can do with it. This apply to the code, the binary version
> of the code or any derivative work (it up to the judge to evaluate what
> consitute a derivative work) based on that code.
>
> You assume that a line of code must be paid many time... this is only
> possible business model.

WRONG - I want the voters to know what they are getting, and those doing
useful work getting paid, but not paying fairy tale claims with no work.

>> One thing that would work is that the federal government contracts
>> that the code be written, pays the contractor, and then the government
>> releases it into the public domain (or GPL or whatever).  The
>> government got what it wanted,

I have NO DESIRE FOR "The government got what it wanted" - I want the
voters to get honest, workable, elections.

> Releasing into public domain is not really the best choice if at all
> possible... Releasing in GPL or other Free Software licence is possible
> but it is seems a very difficult process for the federal government to
> move contracted software into something like GPL (copyright transfert,
> ...) but it is not impossible and has been done before.
>
>> the contractor got paid, and if some other country wants to use the
>> code for their own system, so be it, it is in our interest that our
>> democratic processes be copied elsewhere.

When they get down to details, there should be nothing preventing good
code being used world wide - I am convinced some vendors understand
selling as such - which actually helps quality if the privacy question
gets settled right.

> It is the rest of the world democratic interest not to copy the various
> mistake that US is doing with DRE and other. If Fidel Castro was elected
> with kind of electronic voting used in the US... Washington would say it
> is a fraud.

Another reason for the US to do better.

> Venezuella did use electronic voting to confirm/re-elect it's president.
> The vendor of the electronic voting system was apparently close to the
> opposition, the USA was supporting the opposition, ... Guess what,
> Washington does not recognise the result and want investigation.

I read a bit differently:
     Opposition:  Washington; a polling co. associated with a voting
system vendor (not in this election) AND not above illegally publishing an
exit poll claiming opposition win while polls were still open.
     Chávez:  "And the smear attempt against the democratic process also
attacks the reputation of the U.S. company, SmartMatic, that worked so hard
to make Sunday's election the fairest, most heavily participated, and, in
fact, only presidential recall vote in American history!"  For the
participation, polls stayed open longer than planned.