[EM] California Dreamin', Take 4

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Mon Sep 13 21:22:32 PDT 2004

Hi all,

So, I've been trying to figure out how to get people who don't
particularly care about election reform to actually think through the
issues involved.   This is what I came up with; the goal is to try to
express the basic ideas and motivation without getting bogged down in
details.

I welcome your feedback -- especially on the technical "NOTES" at the
end.

Yours,
Ernie P.

Reengineering California's Legislature
An Inquiry in the Spirit of James Madison

Draft 3, 9/13/2004, Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
<DrErnie at RadicalCentrism.org>

I. A VISIT FROM THE PAST

J:	Good morning, Governor. Thank you for taking the time to see me.

A:	The honor is mine, Mr. President. I have long admired your work on
the U.S. Constitution, especially the Federalist papers.

J:	You are very kind, Governor, though that was a long time ago.
However, the Constitution is in fact what I wanted to talk to you
about. I fear I owe you an apology.

A:	What, for that business about not allowing naturalized citizens to
run for President? Please, don't worry about it. I'm busy enough now
just running the state of California.

J:	Oh, I quite agree. In fact, I really wanted to talk to you about the
California constitution, which in this case borrowed some unfortunate
ideas from ours. In particular, I believe you're having some problems
with the state legislature.

A:	You mean those girly-men politicians who are so indebted to special
interests that they refuse to act on behalf of the people?

J:	Um, in a manner of speaking, yes. But, really, you shouldn't talk
about them like that. In fact, depending on how you look at it, it
really isn't their fault. It is, well, mine.

A:	Yours? You must be kidding, Mr. President. You are, er, were one of
the greatest statesmen of all time. If we had people like you in the
legislature, we wouldn't be having these problems.

J:	That's very kind of you to say, Governor, but I'm afraid you're
wrong. Oh, sure, I like to think I'd do a little better than the people
you have in there now. But frankly, we had a pretty low opinion of
state legislatures in my day, too. Human nature hasn't really changed
all that much in two hundred years, after all. But rather that relying
on unnatural levels of nobility, we tried to design a system that would
force human nature to act in the best interest of all the people.

A:	And if I may say so, you did a remarkable job. The United States has
become a beacon of hope to all the world, a shining city on a hill, a
golden dream by the...

J:	Yes, yes, I know, and thank you. Certainly we are all very proud of
the Constitution, especially considering how little we knew of
practical democracy at the time. But there is one fundamental
development we failed to foresee, which is arguably at the root of your
problems in California. Do you know what that is?

II. THE PROBLEM WITH PARTIES

A:	Let me guess. Political parties?

J:	Precisely. My theory of large-scale republican government was based
on the idea of multiple independent factions, whose representatives
would only agree about topics of genuine benefit to the entire country.
We failed to predict that factions would coalesce into parties,
especially two dominant parties.