[EM] plurality, FPTP and runoff voting

Ma Anguo maanguo at giga.net.tw
Mon Sep 6 21:04:46 PDT 2004

Hello everybody,

I am getting confused. I always thought that plurality
voting was an election where given a multitude of
candidate, the voter could only choose one. (Am I right so
far?)

For me, first-past-the-post (single winner plurality
voting), runoff voting (two rounds plurality voting like in
French elections) and proportional representation (multiple
winner plurality voting) were all subsets of plurality
voting: in any of those elections, the voter can only
select one option among many.

Am I still right?

On wikipedia, they redirect plurality voting to FPTP voting,
giving plurality a much narrower definition than I did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_voting

Who coined those terms? What definition were given to those
terms then?

In here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system#Yes.2FNo_voting_methods
runoffs systems are listed separately from plurality (which
is assimilated to FPTP), but I would have done this:

1. Plurality
	1.1. First-past-the-post
	1.2. Runoff voting - Two Round System

I don't quite agree with the wikipedist approach: did I
misunderstand something and their point of view the one
generally recognized by everybody?

Thank you for your enlightening comments,

Anguo

--
www.masquilier.org
Condorcet, Approval alternative voting.

In order to prevent people from receiving viruses
that would seem to originate from my email,
if you use Microsoft Windows you do not have permission
to add this address to your address book.
If I am in your address book, please remove me.
Of course, this does not apply to GNU/Linux users.
Thank you.