[EM] Why bicameralism ?

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 1 06:18:28 PDT 2004

I understand very well people want to have someone to defend their interest
and demand in the name of their community some money or favors to an upper
government for local projects. What I do not understand, is that apparent
necessity
that it has to be a representative from that same level of government. This
goes against all
efficient behaviours. One cannot be judge and party of the decision in the
same time.
Obviously an indian reserve representative will be a minoritarian
representative of that group
speaking in favor of them. People cannot know if it is well-founded or not.
The same for coastal
distrist and fishermen, the same for every district and its particular
communities...

Towns, cities and every geographical organisation already have representatives
at a local level:
mayors and city councils. Let them do the work, if not by themself by electing
representatives
to go defend the town interests in front of other decisional stands. Stop
internal behind-the-scene
deals and start an open and neutral decisional process that would encourage
politicians to take
decisions that benefit the most to get reelected.

It sounds idealistic, but it seems simple human behavior to me. Any
psychologist around?

Steph