[EM] Condorcet complicated?

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Thu Oct 14 21:25:57 PDT 2004

I mentioned that not only because of Dr. Tideman's study, but also because
at least one definition I read (on this list) described a voting method as a
mapping of ballots to results.

That many different sets of ballots can result in the same pairwise matrix
is something that could be perceived as a problem. In many of the examples
I've seen, I'd have chosen a different winner than one of the cycle-breaking
methods does based upon the specific the ballot configuration - which is not
available to any method that starts counting after the pairwise matrix is
formed.

I don't mean to argue for or against any method, I just pointed out that
this is something that can't be explained away, and some people won't like
it.