[EM] Reply to Paul Kislanko

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Mon Oct 11 13:36:19 PDT 2004

At 12:36 PM -0700 10/11/04, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>>Perot is the clear Condorcet winner, but that cannot be the right result. If
>>you replace those names with A, B, C the result looks ok.
>
>I suspect the issue with your example is that:
>
>>45% Bush > Perot
>>10% Perot
>>45% Clinton > Perot
>
>is interpreted as:
>
>45% Bush > Perot > Clinton
>10% Perot > Bush = Clinton
>45% Clinton > Perot > Bush
>
>If people had explicitly marked their ballot as above, would you
>still consider it "surprising" that Perot won?  If so, why?  Would
>any other outcome be less surprising?

The fact that Perot wins in this case is, in part, what I like about
Condorcet methods. When the two major factions are evenly split, the
Condorcet method will find the compromise option. It would make far
less sense to me for either of the larger factions to win in this
case when neither has a majority (i.e. 50% + 1) support among the
entire electorate.