[EM] Voting Systems Study of the League of Women Voters of Minnesota

RLSuter at aol.com RLSuter at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 17:52:14 PDT 2004

Will you please point out where in the study it says that "the
committee is in favor of IRV." I couldn't find any recommendations
at all. Futhermore, the summaries you quote are not summaries
of any committee's opinion. They are merely summaries of "the
most frequently cited pro and con statements made," and
some of the opinions cited in the summaries are debatable
or just plain wrong.

I suspect the comment about mathematicians in the summary re
Condorcet was derived from a statement from a book by Doug
Amy (one of the Center for Voting and Democracy's favorite
academic voting experts) that essentially dismissed Condorcet
as one of many mathematicians who have "dabbled" with
alternative voting systems. I found that comment, as well as Amy's
general discussion of both Condorcet and Approval voting, to
be astonishingly biased and condescending, coming from an
academic political science professor who claims to be an expert
and really ought to know much better. Condorcet was much more
than a mathematician. He was a pioneer political and judicial
theorist. He was also a serious politician who lost his life
in the French revolution because of the stands he took. In
addition to that, he was possibly the earliest enlightenment
period writer who strongly advocated political equality for
women. In any listing of history's most influential and
respected political philosophers, Condorcet would surely
rank in the top 50 if not much higher.

As for the comment that IRV "ensures majority rule," that
is just a patently absurd statement. It would ensure majority
rule so only if a majority were to agree prior to an election
to accept the IRV winner, but the same could be said of
any other voting system.

If you are an advocate of IRV, you are going to have to
support your position with better evidence than this.

-Ralph Suter

In a message dated 10/10/04 3:08:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,