[EM] Re: Does MAM use the Copeland method?

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 6 13:46:15 PDT 2004

Hi,
Ted S wrote:
> Paul K wrote:
>> I merely observe from the original ballots that
>> 5 of 9 voters prefer C over A. So those are the ones
>> who will be unhappy if A is elected.
>
> But how unhappy will they be?  Only 3 of those voters
> strongly disapproved A.

It's a leap to assume that ranking a candidate last
implies disapproval.  Or strong dispreference.  Neither
can be gleaned from an order of preference.

(I'll go further and say sincere approval/disapproval
has no meaning in single-winner elections.  I see a
meaning if the office being filled can remain vacant;
in that case, sincere disapproval would mean the same
as a preference for leaving the office vacant.  But
that's not a single-winner election.)

--Steve