[EM] Voting Systems Study of the League of Women Voters of Minnesota

Florian Lengyel lengyel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 04:39:25 PDT 2004

The assumption that the mathematical analysis of voting systems has
nothing to do with actual voting systems is mistaken; there seems to
be a level of cognitive resolution below which inferior systems (such
as IRV) will appear "good" because the mathematical evidence is
incomprehensible. They also mistakenly assert that
IRV eliminates the spoiler problem.

Warren D. Smith has proposed (on the approval voting list) range
voting (RV), which is the continuous analog of approval voting (or
cardinal voting); a voter can vote any number in the unit interval for
each candidate. A common criticism of approval voting, which occurs in
the LWV article--that approvals all have the same intensity (equal to
one)--is eliminated in range voting. However, it is more involved to
implement than approval voting.

Smith shows that IRV will lead to a 2-party duopoly over time (his is
expected), whereas RV will not. Smith defines a decision theoretic
notion called Bayesian regret and has computer simulations which show
that range voting minimizes the average Bayesian regret over all
systems compared (including plurality, IRV, approval voting...). One
would like to see statements and proofs of the RV-analogues of
theorems about approval voting that have appeared in the literature,
though certain nice properties are immediate (monotonicity,
summability).

-FL