[EM] Does MAM use the Copeland method?

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:58:47 PDT 2004

Hi,
Paul K wrote:
> I merely observe from the original ballots that 5 of 9
> voters prefer C over A. So those are the ones who will
> be unhappy if A is elected.

It's a stretch to call them "unhappy" since all we know
is that they ranked C over A.  Perhaps they'll be much much
happier if any of these three candidates are elected
than they'd be if some other candidate D had been elected,
as some other voting method (e.g., plurality rule) might
do. (Remember, the decisions by candidates and potential
candidates whether to run and what policies to advocate
are influenced by the voting method.)

> That majority will initiate a referendum that changes
> the voting method because it selected the "wrong"
> candidate from the VOTERS' perspective.

What method does Paul think they will change to?
What method would have elected C?  :-)

The point of satisfying the Immunity from Majority
Complaints criterion is so that no majority will
initiate a referendum to change the winner or
the voting method.

It's easy to rebut that majority's argument that C
should have been elected, if the method is immune
from majority complaints, by turning their own
"majority rule" argument against them.  Maybe
the rebuttal won't deter all of the majority--
they might include Paul :-) --but hopefully
enough of them will be sensible.

Suppose that majority proceeded instead with a referendum
that changed the outcome to C.  Why then wouldn't a 7/9
majority then believe C is the wrong winner from the
VOTERS' perspective and launch a referendum of their own?
And then, after the second referendum changes the outcome
to B, why wouldn't a 6/9 majority then believe B is the
wrong winner from the VOTERS' perspective and launch a
referendum to restore A? (I'm using the term "VOTERS'
perspective" with some sarcasm, since I don't know
what Paul meant by it.)

Besides having to cope with such a rebuttal, the 5/9
would have only a weak incentive to replace A with C
assuming all three candidates are centrists, which is
a reasonable assumption since the method favors centrists
and candidates will know that and become centrists if
they want careers in politics.  Some other methods,
such as plurality rule and IRV, promote polarization
and 2 big parties each nominating only one candidate,
instead of centrism.

> You academics can say A is right, but if that is so,
> this just demonstrates that Plurality does as well
> as anything.

But only in some examples, like this one.  Not in
other examples.  And not when we consider the overall
incentives induced by the methods.

I didn't realize I'm an academic.  I'd thought I was
merely a dilettante.

--Steve