[EM] Alternative electoral systems as tools to promote socialnetworks and activism

Bryan Ford baford at mit.edu
Fri Nov 26 11:43:37 PST 2004

Hi Jan, thanks for your comments.  Both of your objections center around the
"granularity issue" - in the first case, allowing voters to choose only one
delegate when they might like to support several; in the second case,
allowing voters to choose only "whole candidates" without being able to
differentiate among different issues the same candidate may have a position
on.  From a technical viewpoint, your objections are quite legitimate - but
you're thinking at a far different level of political awareness and technical
sophistication than the intended "target audience" of indrep elections would
be able to.  I want indrep elections to be immediately and easily accessible
to the average Joe who has no clue about election systems and isn't
particularly political in the first place.  Most people are _not_ "political
animals" at all; see for example this great New Yorker article:

	http://www.newyorker.com/printable/?critics/040830crat_atlarge

The "politics" of most people doesn't usually go beyond vague feelings and
group identification - most people have no coherent political ideology, so to
speak; they at best know a few people they feel they trust and identify with.
Indrep elections give these ordinary people - all the "unpolitical animals" -
the ability to support (at a personal level) the people they trust and
identify with who _are_ "political animals."  Anyone who _does_ have a
coherent political ideology, and _wants_ to be able to express their opinions
at the finer levels of granularity that you're talking about, is expected to
participate in an indrep election as a delegate rather than as an ordinary
voter.  Since delegates choose themselves, there is no barrier preventing
anyone from participating at this more politically sophisticated level.  The
self-selecting body of delegates is free to organize further using more
sophisticated election systems or participatory decision-making systems like
those we usually discuss on this list - but that's beyond the scope of my
main proposal.

The key purpose of the indrep election scheme is simply to create both a means
and an _incentive_ for ordinary, unpolitical people to support the more
politically sophisticated people in their social circles with whom they
identify, and thereby participate indirectly in social and political
organization even if they would never participate directly.  And at the same
time, by rewarding delegates/activists with democratic "credentials", indrep
elections create a stronger incentive for more politically sophisticated
people like you and me to go out and interact with ordinary people and get
them involved (even if only indirectly), instead of just spending all our
time in mailing list arguments about obscure electoral system
technicalities. :)

Cheers,
Bryan