[EM] Automatic Criterion Checking

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Tue Nov 16 15:25:24 PST 2004

 This is in fact, one of the great questions of mathematical logic.
Unfortunately, 20 years before Arrow's theorem, there was Godel's Theorem,
which proves that such an "axiom-checker" is as impossible as squaring the
circle or simultaneously finding the position and momentum of an electron.

You can "for example" all you want, but for any logical system that's at
least as complex as arithmetic, there is no way to prove consistency without
applying something "outside" the system. There's a symmetry in Godel's proof
and Arrow's - the only way to satisfy the other three of Arrow's criteria is
to have a Dictator who specifies how everybody else should vote to satisfy
the other criteria.