[EM] Spoiler Effect on Wikipedia

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 11 10:42:58 PST 2004

Hi,

Eric G wrote:
-snip-
> Unless I am mistaken, Approval Voting does satisfy IIA and
> I find AV to be a reasonable system. :-)
>
> This nuance is missing on the page
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_effect) as well
> when it is stated:
>
>  A voting system which satisfies the independence of irrelevant
>  alternatives criterion is immune to the spoiler effect,
>  but Arrow's impossibility theorem shows that complete
>  satisfaction of this property is incompatible with other
>  desirable properties of an electoral system.
>
> Arrow's impossibility theorem only applies to ranked ballot
> voting methods and AV is not a ranked ballot method.

I prefer more general wordings of Arrow's theorem that
apply to all voting methods.  The one in my web pages,
for instance.

Approval fails a "universal domain" axiom, which requires
the social ordering function or social choice function
accept from each voter any possible ordering of the
alternatives.  Some people consider universal domain
to be a desirable property.  The voters' preferences
might not be dichotomous, for instance.  But this is
not why I expect Approval will be disappointing.
(I've given my reasons in the past, and don't feel
like repeating them here, sorry.)

There's a paragraph about Approval in my discussion of
universal domain in my web page about Arrow's theorem.
I'll copy and paste it here:

"On the other hand, we are not really limited to Arrow's
framework, which was designed merely to try to aggregate
voters' (sincere) preferences.  Although it is reasonable
to require the voting method to work for any collection of
preferences the voters may have, it does not necessarily
follow that no constraints should be placed on the
expressions voters may make when voting.  For instance,
the so-called Approval voting method constrains each
voter to partitioning the alternatives into two subsets,
which is equivalent to a non-strict ordering that has at
most two "indifference classes."  It is not a priori
obvious that the use of voting methods such as Approval,
which constrain the voters from completely expressing
their preference orderings, are worse for society, so
the universal domain criterion should be considered
controversial until other arguments not explored by
Arrow are examined (assuming those arguments support
the conclusion that it is better not to constrain the
voters from expressing orderings).  In other words,
other criteria for comparing voting methods, in addition
to Arrow's criteria, need to be evaluated. (My own
conclusion is that there are solid reasons why it is
better not to constrain the voters' expressions, but
that is beyond the scope of this document.)"

--Steve