[EM] New Condorcet/RP variant

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 5 11:09:24 PST 2004

Hi,

Markus S wrote about Paul Crowley's proposed voting method:
> your Condorcet/RP variant sounds like Steve Eppley's
> "minimize thwarted majorities" (MTM) method.

I think of the name MTM as an old name for MAM, which stands
for "maximize affirmed majorities."  To my ear, "maximize
affirmed majorities" has a more positive sound than "minimize
thwarted majorities." (I'm open to suggestions for a better
name, although so much has already been written about MAM
that changing the name again will be problematic.)  I don't
recall which tiebreaking technique I defined for it back
in those days, years ago.  I may have posted more than one
tiebreaker as the method evolved, and may even have left
tiebreaking undefined initially.  If he thinks it matters,
hopefully Markus will tell us which MTM tiebreaker he has
in mind.

The tiebreaking in Paul's method sounds different than MAM's.
But I'd appreciate seeing examples to clarify each case Paul
wrote about.  I got the impression his tiebreaker is not
independent of clones, but I'm not confident I understand
what he intended.

I'd appreciate if Paul would elaborate on why he thinks its
tiebreaking is "fairer" and "cleaner" than MAM's.  Are there
any criteria we can use to more clearly define "fairer"
and/or "cleaner?"

What I want from a tiebreaker is for it to be as simple as
possible, but without sacrificing any criteria that people
consider important.  Even though my principal concern is with
public elections, where it's unlikely any pairing will be a tie
and unlikely two majorities will be the same size, I think
it's important that the tiebreaker behave well in small group
voting.  That's because I expect the public will be reluctant
to accept a voting method for public elections that hasn't been
thoroughly tested by many organizations. (A couple of months
ago in the discussion of the Kemeny-Young method, I didn't find
the time to mention this connection between public elections
and small group voting.  K-Y's failure of clone independence
is likely to cause problems if K-Y is used by small groups
voting on propositions and amendments, since clone amendments
cannot refuse to be nominated, and the participants typically
won't know at nomination time whether or not there will be
any pairwise ties or same-size majorities.  Clone nominations
might also be a simple way to make K-Y fail the minimal defense
criterion, but I haven't looked at this.)

There's also the issue of execution time.  There's no inherent
upper bound on the number of alternatives in an election
(particularly when voting on propositions).  I don't want to
have to defend a voting method from attacks by "hired gun"
academics who argue that its worst case execution time blows up
as the number of alternatives increases.  Election reform is
tough enough already; there's no reason to unnecessarily
give ammo to the enemy, who'll be able to afford much more
media time.  I spent months trying to develop a quick algorithm
to implement MTM before finally finding one.  Then I recognized
that algorithm was equivalent to Tideman's top-down algorithm
that had been posted in the EM list a year earlier--except
using "winning votes" instead of margins, and the open issue of
tiebreaking.  So then I got ahold of Tideman's 1987 paper and
Zavist-Tideman's 1989 paper.  I misinterpreted Zavist's
tiebreaker when I copied it for MAM, but that turned out
to be good luck since my version provides monotonicity but
Zavist's does not. (I don't mean to imply I think monotonicity
is important.  To me monotonicity is just another unimportant
"consistency" criterion.  I only care about monotonicity
because people have been known to criticize methods that
aren't monotonic.)

It's common for small groups to use voting methods that violate
neutrality and anonymity.  The basic Robert's Rules method,
a pairwise single-elimination method, resolves the top cycle
(if there is one) based on the order in which amendments are
proposed, thus violating neutrality.  Ties are typically
broken by appealing to the chairperson or the agenda order,
thus violating anonymity or neutrality.  So, if a group
wants to eliminate randomness by trading away anonymity or
neutrality, they can do so by favoring the alternatives
nominated earlier--status quo treated as first--and/or
a seniority order of the voters. (But I haven't checked
whether using the nomination order satisfies a criterion
weaker than clone independence: independence from all clones
except the earliest.  Although weaker, its satisfaction
would seem to be sufficient.)

If he hasn't already done so, Paul might want to look at
the section entitled "MAM2, a voting rule equivalent to MAM"
in the following webpage:
www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley/MAM%20formal%20definition.htm
Here's an excerpt from that section:

   MAM2 finds the social orderings which "maximize affirmed
   majorities" and elects an alternative which tops such an
   ordering.  This is similar to the Kemeny-Young "maximum
   likelihood estimation" voting rule, except MAM2 uses a
   leximax comparison of the possible social orderings while
   Kemeny-Young scores each of the possible social orderings
   by adding the sizes of the majorities it agrees with.

MAM2 is completely equivalent to MAM due to the way it
handles tiebreaking.

--Steve