[EM] Election Calculator additions: equal rankings IRV

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 24 13:16:02 PDT 2004

Brian,

--- Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> a écrit :
> Bucklin can be expressed as:
> In round N add the Nth ranking votes to the tallies for the choices.
> Starting at 1, repeat until a choice's tally is greater than 1/2 the
> number of voters. The highest tally is the winner.
>
> I added to this:
> If a voter has not marked a Nth rank choice, distribute 1 vote across
> the choices which the voter has not ranked.
>
> I think this modification deters truncation.

Sigh.  Yes it deters truncation, but now I have to randomly fill out my
ballot so that the other front-runner can be in last place.  If I don't do
this I'm giving the election away.  Hopefully one of the two gets a majority
before some turkey does...

I think you might consider implementing QLTD (Quota-Limited Trickle-Down)
which is a Bucklin variant suggested by Woodall.  One would modify the
last sentence in your definition to become:

> Elect the candidate requiring the smallest percentage of his latest-round
> votes to reach a tally of half of the votes (or a majority).

Looking for the smallest required percentage simulates greater ballot
resolution than actually exists.  You can pretend there was a 2.203th round,
for instance.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr