[EM] Re: equal rankings IRV

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Jun 21 21:08:02 PDT 2004

I agree that fractional ER-IRV is an inconsequential improvement over
regular IRV.

I also have serious doubts about whole-vote ER-IRV, mainly over whether
the Duvergerian equilibria would still be strong enough to maintain a
two-party system.  If so, then the differences between top-two, IRV,
ER-IRV(fractional), ER-IRV(whole votes), or simply disqualifying all but
the top-two primary winners from the general election, are largely
academic, at least in U.S. partisan races.

Bart Ingles