[EM] Re: completing Condorcet using ratings information

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 21 09:47:08 PDT 2004

  James,
Thanks for taking an interest in the comparison between your new
"weighted pairwise" (magnitudes)  and my older "compressing ranks" ideas
 for completing Condorcet. Unfortunately, when it comes to using
high-resolution  ratings ballots to combine ranking and rating, these
two are far from the only obvious candidates.
Here is another that  is fairly simple and intuitive. High-resolution
ratings ballots. Inferring ranking from rating, eliminate the non-members
of the Schwartz-set. Of the remaining candidates, each ballot approves
those candidates rated above average.  Eliminate the candidate
with the lowest approval-score. Begin again, and so on, until one
candidate remains.
This and the compressing ranks method have in common that they are
Condorcet methods that try to rely on the ratings as little as possible.
Your example:

24: A 100 > B 1 > C 0
24: A 100 > C 1 > B 0
22: B 100 > C 99 > A 0
4: B 100 > C 1 > A 0
1: B 100 > A 1 > C 0
22: C 100 > B 99 > A 0
3: C 100 > A 1 > B 0

100 ballots. A>B>C>A, all 51-49.

All candidates are in the Schwartz set, so the approval-scores are: