[EM] Re: Chris: Approval vs IRV

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 21 03:41:02 PDT 2004

Kevin,

In Australia, most voters don't know or care who the individual candidate is. They usually just decide
which party they're going to support, and then fill out their ballots as that party reccomends. In some
seats a major party will have a big majority, and so the election itself seems like a formality. The
major parties are not run particularly democratically, so the decision of who gets endorsed for a given
"safe seat" is sometimes made by party bureacrats on criteria other than merit or local popularity.
Sometimes they go too far, and try to impose a candidate that the local branch and/or the local electors
don't like. In that case, an independent who identifies as a supporter of the major party (whose "safe"
seat it is) will sometimes run ("directing preferences" to that party), and win the seat (sometimes with
the help of the preferences of the other major party). The threat of this happening puts some limit on
the power of major party machines to just give out these seats to whoever they like. Under Approval, I
don't think that this would work as well.

You wrote:

>I think it would work 10x better in Approval.  In IRV the independent's supporters can
>spoil the election just by voting sincerely.  In Approval those voters have to downrank
>the unpopular nominated candidate, which has obvious risks which they can consider, in order
>to spoil the result.

CB: Suppose that  for some single-member seat; previous election
results, pubblished polls and all other indicators say that the
result in the next election will be:

60%:Labor
40%:Conservative

The Labor party machine trys to impose some candidate that local Labor
party supporters don't like, or like decidedly less than
than some other pro-Labor candidate.  Under IRV, this third candidate
can run as a Labor-clone, possibly badging himself  as
"Independent  Labor", which at a minimum means that he directs his
preferences to Labor and if elected, will help make up the
numbers in parliament  on which  Labor  tries to base a government. For
this reason,  the Labor party will direct their supporters
to give that  candidate their second preferences.
The threat of  the (potential) rebel-clone (to the official candidate)
is "I will appeal to regular Labor supporters to supplant you as
their representative, without them being inhibited by any anxiety about
splitting the anti-Conservative vote".
Under Approval, it can only be "I will appeal to regular Labor
supporters to abandon you and risk decisively splitting the anti-
Conservative vote" or  "I will appeal to regular Labor supporters to
vote for me as well as you, and then I will appeal to some of
the Conservative supporters  (the enemy camp) to vote for me as well as
their candidate so that I can win". Neither of  these stances
sit well with the rebel-clone claiming to be more "authentic" Labor than
the "official"  endorsed Labor candidate.

Chris Benham