[EM] Margins

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jun 19 18:24:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:40:13 +0200 (CEST) Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Dave,

>>>Does anyone know who devised this?
>>>
>>  I do not claim devising, but I argue for this, for both wv and margins:
>>

> Since you argue for it, I want to name it after you.  Unless someone complains,
> I am going to start calling it the "Ketchum" measurement of defeat strength.
>
> Since Ketchum is a compromise between WV and Margins, it doesn't make sense to say
> you advocate it "for both wv and margins."  It only makes sense to advocate it
> *instead* of WV or Margins.

NO SALE!!!  Our debate has been as to how to count votes.  HOWEVER, WV and
Margins differ as to how to interpret the counts after they have been
done.  I have NOT SUGGESTED ANY change in the interpretation, so they
remain different and could not survive a shared name.

> I think you doubt this, so I'll give some brief definitions to make this
> clearer:
>
> WV: Equal-ranking and truncation result in no vote for either candidate.

For WV it would be destructive to include truncated candidates as if the
voters had expressed an interest in them, so leave them out.

Where the voter has explicitly done equal ranking, I continue my claim
that these should be given half counts, consistent with the voters likely
doing about half A>B and half B>A if A=B was not permitted - and ending up
with comparable counts.

In another thread someone questioned action when least liked candidates
are explicitly ranked equal.  My inclination is to honor the voter's
action and count these, mostly because it keeps the rules simpler - AND IS
what the voter said.

> Margins: Equal-ranking and truncation result in 1/2 vote for each candidate.

Assuming I understand the rules, margins CARES NOT about such counts, so
doing them unlike WV puzzles.

I would do the counts here the same as in WV, so that the two methods
differ only where there is a reason for difference.

> Ketchum: Equal-ranking results in 1/2 vote for each candidate, but truncation
> results in no vote for either candidate.
>
> These can also be shown in a table:
>
> measure     ranked equal      truncated
> WV           0 votes           0 votes
> Margins      1/2 vote          1/2 vote