[EM] Re: margins axiom

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 19 08:41:01 PDT 2004

Hi again,

In my (hastily written) reply to Chris Benham's question
about my "margins vs. majorities" compromise proposal,
I should have added that I see nothing wrong with his
suggestion of counting zero points for each last-ranked
candidate (regardless of whether they are last due to
having been explicitly ranked last, or implicitly last
by omission) in pairings of last-ranked candidates.

Also, that has some advantages over my proposal:
1. It's probably simpler for the voters.
2. It favors majorities, rather than margins,
   in more pairings. (Which I count as an advantage
   since I favor majorities.)
3. It doesn't place any additional constraints on
   the voter's user interface, since it wouldn't
   be necessary to give each voter a way to omit
   candidates from her ordering.

>>   If the voter leaves two candidates unranked,
>>   don't count that as a half vote for each, count it
>>   as zero for each.  But if the voter explicitly ranks
>>   two candidates as equal, count that as a half vote
>>   for each.
> -snip-
> CB: In reference to the phrase "if the voter explicitly
> ranks two candidates equal", does that include "equal
> last"?

--Steve