[EM] margins axiom

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 18 19:30:01 PDT 2004

Hi,

There is a possible compromise between margins and
majorities (but I prefer straight majorities, not
this compromise):

   If the voter leaves two candidates unranked,
   don't count that as a half vote for each, count it
   as zero for each.  But if the voter explicitly ranks
   two candidates as equal, count that as a half vote
   for each.

Thus, if more than half the voters rank x but not y,
then y cannot have a count over any z that is as large as
the majority for x over y.  This means it's straightforward
to satisfy the minimal defense criterion; for instance,
the corresponding variations of MAM and BeatpathWinner
satisfy minimal defense.

Truncation resistance, as I've defined it in my webpages,
is also satisfied.

--Steve