[EM] Re: equal rankings IRV

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 16 14:01:55 PDT 2004

Chris,

--- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> a écrit :
> >It's going to be worse, from the perspective of people who think it's important
> >to find majority-strength coalitions, because of all the compression incentive.
> >It won't be possible to ensure that there is only one "majority winner."
> >
> CB: I  take it from this that you assume  that  ER-IRV(whole)  has a
> majority stopping rule, and so do not agree with what James G-A
> wrote in response to me asking me if  the definition of  that method
> includes that rule.

No, I haven't seriously considered whether there ought be a majority stopping rule.
But I think that whether or not there is such a rule, ER-IRV(whole) is still
going to be worse (than IRV) from the perspective of people concerned about having a
majority decision.  This is because it's possible for multiple candidates to have
votes from a majority of the voters.

I agree that the majority stopping rule doesn't seem to make sense here.

What do you think of the MAFP method?  Do you think it addresses the problem of
Approval's Majority failure?  (I ask this question to anyone, actually...)

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr