[EM] Re: A>B, B>A, A=B

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Jun 14 04:24:52 PDT 2004

Dave,

 --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> > Dave Ketchum wrote:
> >>If two voters rank
> >>A=B, the effect should be the same as if one ranked A>B and the other
> >>ranked B>A.
> >
> > Dave didn't say anything about no votes for truncated candidates, so I guess he now
> > advocates Margins.
> >
> I said "rank" - agreed that truncated candidates are liked less than
> those explicitly ranked, but they get there via truncation rather than
> ranking, and this does not demonstrate equal liking or dislike.

I see.  I wasn't sure if you were still advocating a Margins/Winning Votes hybrid,
or if you had decided to only advocate Margins.

I imagine something like an A>B>C>A cycle, where C>A is the weakest defeat, so that
C is the winner.  In Winning Votes, it's possible that if equal numbers of A>B and B>A
voters change their ranking to A=B, then A>B will be the weakest defeat, and A will be
elected.

I think this is justifiable.  A voter ranking A=B instead of A>B is giving up the
ability to support A over B, in exchange for a greater probability of getting one
of the two elected instead of C.

If the method doesn't permit equal ranking to accomplish this, then some of the A>B
voters will wish that they had instead voted B>A, in order to turn B into a Condorcet
winner.  That seems undesirable to me.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr