[EM] Single Winner Systems categorization

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Jun 11 16:39:01 PDT 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 2:48 PM, Dr.Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Tom,
> It seems like an noble effort, and I appreciate the work.  I'm still a
> little unclear on what you mean by 'one vote'.  Do you mean one vote
> per candidate, one vote per position, or one vote per ballot?

Okay, after discussing with Tom offline, I'd like to propose the
following text for single-winner methods. Anyone else have thoughts?

-- Ernie P.

(A) Single Winner Systems

One useful way to classify single-winner voting systems is by how
voters indicate
their preferences for a given seat on each ballot:

*********
1 "Single Choice Voting"
Voters select at most one candidate as their preferred winner

2 "Ranked choice Voting"
Voters rank candidates in order of preference (e.g., 1 > 2 > 3)
Some systems may permit equal and/or incomplete rankings

3 "Rated Value Voting"
Voters assign an independent numerical weight/category to each candidate
(e..g, like letter grades on a report card)
*********