[EM] Top Three Condorcet

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Jun 9 20:43:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:49:17 +0100 James Gilmour wrote:

> I asked:
>
>>>Is it necessary for a voter to rank ALL candidates?
>>>

> Eric replied:
>
>>No.

Which is what I said - please read carefully.

I said "ranks all candidates liked better than "last"" - MEANING "last"
AND those NOT liked better can get default ranking without voter effort.

Ducking the next barb:  A voter could like a candidate better than "last",
but not do ranking because the liking is too trivial to be worth the effort.

> I asked:
>
>>>Does it cease to be "a Condorcet method" if
>>>voters have the option to truncate at their respective points of indifference?
>>>

> Eric replied:
>
>>No.

Agreed.

> Does Dave Ketchum agree?  He made the claim.

All of this because I objected to Forest using "Condorcet" in a
method name when the method involved ratings (he uses the word
"grade" which seems to me to be a synonym for rating).

> James Gilmour
> PS I should appreciate receiving only one copy of EM e-mails, via the EM list.

Seems like your request is properly directed to whoever set up the

listserve.  Yahoo! does not (at least not always) default to the

addressing you object to.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.