[EM] a similar method to weighted pairwise

bql at bolson.org bql at bolson.org
Tue Jun 8 19:14:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> 	It occurred to me that there is another method which is similar to
> weighted pairwise, which uses an approval cutoff rather than a cardinal
> ratings ballot.

My first reaction is that this won't actually break ties. A majority would
like two choices, vote them up, the tie would be between them and they
wound up approved on almost all of the ballots. The "almost" in that
leaves the tie breaking up to a scarce few who happen to draw the line
between those two choices, OR widespread approval-gaming trying to guess
what the condorcet tie might be and how to approval strategize for that
set.

Also, the Ranked+Rated Condorcet plus Rated Tie Breaker could be
simplified by just casting a rated ballot. Since you made the rule that
the rankings must coincide with the relative ratings the rankings can be
non-ambiguously derived from the ratings (including equal rating mapping
to equal ranking). I generally like it, I think I'll code it up and add it
to the Election Calculator.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/