[EM] Chris: Approval vs IRV

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 7 06:48:01 PDT 2004

MIKE OSSIPOFF a écrit :

> Chris said:

> Approval is based on the assumption that all the voters strategise, and in
> effect invites them to
> do so; because it doesn't even give voters who have a strict ranking and who
> want to vote sincerely
> a clear-cut instruction on how to do so.
>
> I reply:
>
> Yes, in Approval the strategy need can't be ignored. In IRV, you can ignore
> it, and then be hit in the face by it when your last choice wins because you
> didn't bury your favorite.
>
> And the strategy needed in Approval never requires favorite-burial.
>
> You continued:
>
> Instead it leaves them wondering why they should "vote for"
> more than one candidate, and if they should, then how many more.
>
> I reply:
>
> ...just as IRV leaves you wondering if you should vote Compromise in 1st
> place, burying Favorite, so that Worst won't win.

Maybe I need more mathematical support on this but, even if I agree with Mike,
I evaluate the number of time I would have to bury my favourite in order to
get it elected with IRV far less than the number of time I could lose him by not
setting
properly my approval cut-off with approval. It is a matter of odds
(probability).
Could someone evalute those, even just for a small case?

Steph