[EM] Wikipedia

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Sat Jun 5 12:23:02 PDT 2004

Someone identified only by IP address modified the Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Contributions&target=128.211.150.75

Would someone like to take the credit?

My category "one vote method" (where voters are limited to a single
selection) was converted to a Up/Down vote method. It certainly looks
strange to have 4 methods listed and 3 of 4 are "single votes" and 1/4 is
"approval vote".

Approvally is undeniably a "Cardinal Rating subsystem", voters are given 2
possible values and can assign them independently between all candidates.

I suppose the defense is that approval and plurality ballots look identical

A subcategory "tied rankings permitted (or not)" was added to the Rank
methods. I don't find that particularly useful since almost any methods may
have considerations for ties and possibly different ways of counting them
and I don't think there's a standard answer. I certainly don't think
standard Bucklin allows tied rankings as categorizes below.

The issue of ties also brings out the difference between "single vote" and
"multiple vote" systems in my original effort. IRV (and STV) can handle ties
by "approval votes" OR "split votes", but only "split votes" will satisfy
the "one vote, one person" ideal. You can't get Proportional Representation
with STV by approval ties, but split-vote ties are valid, even if cumbersome
to count.

I'm done with my changes for now, but I respectfully ask others to evaluate
these changes.

1. Is "Up/Down" a good name for a ballot type? (I say it is just a hack to
fit Approval into a category it didn't belong.)
2. Does Approval belong more reasonably with "Ratings"? (I say no)
3. Do "Ties permitted" really deserve to be a subcategory? (I think a
"counting type", distinguishing between single counts "Plurality, approcal,
Borda" and multiple counts is more useful.)

Tom Ruen

***********

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system#Single_Winner_Systems
Single Winner Systems

    Single Winner systems can be classified by ballot type:
        Up/Down voting A valid vote can only give a yes or no to a given
candidate.
        Rank vote A valid vote can rank candidates 1,2,3... (Tied rankings
are permitted in some methods but not others)
         Rating vote A valid vote allows independent numerical values to be
associated with each candidate. (The set of valid values is limited.)

            They can also be classified on how many times votes can be
counted. Methods like Plurality, Borda, and Approval with single counting
rounds are simpler since voters can be sure to know how their votes will be
applied.

    Up/Down vote methods
        First-past-the-post (also called Plurality or Relative Majority) -
vote for at most one candidate. Most votes wins.
        Runoff systems
            Runoff voting - Two Round System - if no majority, hold a new
election with only the top two candidates.
            Elimination runoff - if no majority, hold a new election with
the weakest candidate eliminated. Repeat until there is a majoirty.
            Exhaustive runoff - no eliminations, repeat balloting until
there is a majority. Common in committees.
            Approval voting (AV) - Voters may vote yes or no on each
candidate. Candidate with most yes votes wins. Sometimes considered a
version of Cardinal Rankings (see below) with a point range of [0,1]
            Random ballot - May also be used for multiwinner elections, or
as a tiebreaker for other methods

       Rank Vote methods
            Tied rankings not permitted
            Instant Runoff Voting (IRV, a.k.a. Alternative Vote or
'preference voting')
                (Supplementary Vote - Simplified IRV process (2 rankings, 2
rounds)
            Borda count - single round count, more points for higher-ranked
            Coombs' method - disapproval runoff
        Tied rankings permitted
            Condorcet method, actually several families of systems that
satisfy Condorcet's criteria:
            Ranked Pairs (RP) and variants such as Maximize Affirmed
Majorities and Maximum Majority             Voting
            Cloneproof Schwartz Sequential Dropping (CSSD), which is also
known as "Beatpath Method" or "Schulze Method"
            Copeland's method
            Ranked Majority Defeat Disqualification (RMDD)
       Other names for Condorcet Compliant methods:
            VOTE-123 - Another name for Condorcet methods, stands for
Virtual One-on-one Tournament             Elections using 1st, 2nd, & 3rd
choices
        Majority voting or Maximum Majority voting- another term often used
for Condorcet methods
        Bucklin voting - approval runoff. Voters vote for more candidates
each round until a candidate reaches a majority.

    Ratings Vote methods
        Cardinal Ratings (CR) (Also called Range voting) - voters give whole
number points (example 1-10) to each candidate, totaled in single round
        Majority Choice Approval (MCA) - like Approval but with range [0,2]
and multiple counting rounds.
        Rated Ballots may also be used for ranked voting methods, in cases
where tied rankings are allowed.