[EM] Wikipedia

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 5 11:33:02 PDT 2004

I wrote
> >Or did you have in mind the situation when a Condorcet cycle exists, so
> >that the vote of a voter who has marked more than one  preference counts
> >for more than one candidate at the same time?  In that particular
> >situation one might also argue that the voter's second
> preference was counting against the voter's first preference.

Adam replied
> This is an interesting question, but I don't see any meaningful way to
> apply the principle of 1P-1V to the consideration of multiple pairwise
> contests.

Yes, that looks like a violation of "1P-1V" because the total number of votes then "in play" exceeds
the number of voters.

But what about later preferences counting against earlier preferences?

Given that these two violations occur only in the particular circumstances of a Condorcet cycle, do
we just dismiss them both as peculiarities of that situation?

James Gilmour