[EM] Wikipedia

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jun 4 23:36:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 01:02:23 -0400 Eric Gorr wrote:

> Thinking about this some more and based on a private comment from James,
> I think the only natural division that might actually garner general
> agreement is to have a single division...multi-winner and single-winner
> methods.

Certainly multi- vs single- winner makes sense.

In single I see:
      Plurality - just because it is used so much.
      Rankings - IRV AND Condorcet - hopefully nothing else.  For
Condorcet, first describe basic counting.  Then go into the complications
(mostly resolving cycles?).
      Ratings.
      Approval - seems different enough from Plurality to list separately.
      Reruns seem like deserving a separate discussion - original voting
left multiple near ties, so need a second election to resolve.

Primaries got mentioned, and I did not like what I read.  They might do
any method, though it should be one voters are familiar with.  Purpose is
to complete the nomination process for a party.  Writeins are normally
permitted.  Voting may or may not be restricted to party members (I LIKE
restricted, but I do not get to be czar).

> Allow things like whether a method is one-vote or multi-vote, what the
> ballot style is, etc. to be left to the pages for the individual methods
> themselves.

Based on Mike's words, I repeat my recommendation that some control is needed.

Perhaps one place where anyone can write - but overwriting banned or prevented.
     Then a second place where only what is agreed on gets stored (perhaps
multiple versions side by side when agreement does not exist.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.