[EM] Wikipedia

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Fri Jun 4 21:49:03 PDT 2004

At 11:58 PM -0400 6/4/04, James Green-Armytage wrote:
>So far, I don't fully understand why is IRV a "single vote method", Borda
>count a "multiple vote method", and Condorcet a "pairwise vote method",
>when they are all ranked ballot single-winner systems that can be
>conducted in a single round. There's probably some justification for it,
>but at first look I find it to be more confusing than helpful.

I am not aware of any justification. These changes seem to have been
made summarily.

>I think that the single-winner vs. multiple winner distinction is a good
>one to make first.
>
>Then I'd probably go to the ballot type.

Are there really more then just three ballot types?

As near as I can tell, every election method has a ballot that would
look like one of these:

Approval - the voter selects one or more candidates

Ratings - the voter assigns a score to one or more candidates

Ranked - the voter only expresses a preference between candidates

I have no idea what might be placed in a miscellaneous category.

What ballot would not be covered by one of these three?

In Plurality, for example, the voter is only allowed to select a
single candidate, putting it in the Approval category.

Approval is not, in my opinion, appropriately assigned to the Ratings
category since the voter does not assign a score to a candidate.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu