[EM] Cumulative Vote equivalence to Plurality

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jun 4 17:48:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Brian Olson wrote:

[...]

> I don't know what the _best_ strategy for IRNR is. I hope that it is to
> cast an honest ballot.

No runoff method (or any other sequential elimination method) has simply
"honest ballot" as optimal strategy:

Suppose that there are three candidates that you honestly rank as A>B>C.

Suppose further, that you are reasonably sure that A could not beat C if A
survived to the last round, but that B could beat C if B survived to the
last round.  Then it might be to your advantage to rank A in second (if
not last) place, contrary to your honest preference order.

Forest