[EM] Runoff vs IRV

wclark at xoom.org wclark at xoom.org
Thu Jun 3 07:56:01 PDT 2004

> Though it would be hoped that we'd get something better than Runoff or
> IRV, what if it were necessary to choose between those 2?

On purely practical grounds, I'd argue IRV wins hands-down.

Runoffs are notoriously unfair to minority (or other historically
underfunded) candidates.  Runoffs are used in some Southern US states
*specifically* because they make it easier for white (majority) candidates
to win elections.  Black candidates tend to run out of funds before the
runoff round, and black voters tend not to vote after the first round.

If you mention the word "Runoff" in some circles in the South, you'll
instantly alienate a good chunk of the progressive vote.  There are civil
rights groups actively trying to get some districts changed from Runoff to
Plurality, because of these issues.

Of course, if elections and campaigns were free, and if voters turned out
for runoff elections in the same numbers as for regular elections, then
Runoff might be preferable to IRV, on purely technical grounds.

-wclark

--
Protest the 2-Party Duopoly:
http://votenader.org/