[EM] Equalling-vote problems

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:35:02 PDT 2004

(The line-format of this message may be messed-up, because it didn't post
here the first time I sent it, and so I'm sending it from a copy stored
elsewhere)

Kevin--

Equalling votes may well lose Approval's summability. When I posted
about
equalling votes yesterday, I didn't realilze how unfinished the
equalling
votes proposal is. So it can't be known for sure if it would lose
summability until there's a finished proposal.

I'd hoped that the co-operation/defection dilemma in Approval could be
simply & easily completely gotten rid of by equalling votes. But when I
try
to fix equalling votes to work as intended, it starts becoming
elaborate.

Maybe there is a simple way to completely get rid of the
co-operation/defection dilemma in Approval, or maybe not. Of course
others
are welcome to find one, or to fix equalling votes.

Maybe, if there's ever a widely-perceived co-operation/defection dilemma in
Approval, the best solution would be to propose wv Condorcet with ATLO as
the way to completely get rid of that problem.

Maybe AERLO & ATLO lose summability for rank methods with which they're
used, because it's necessary for all the rankings and their AERLO &/or
ATLO
lines to be stored. But it isn't anything IRV's problem in that regard,
since the county computer counting centers could save the rankings and
AERLO
&/or ATLO lines, and then modify them after the 1st balloting, and then
count and re-send the pairwise vote totals, for the 2nd count. I'd have
re-check the Summability definition to find out if the method would
still
pass.

Mike Ossipoff