[EM] Re: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #688 - 6 msgs

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 8 22:23:04 PDT 2004

What I like most about this method is that you use 3 different criteria to
determine the 3 finalists.  This would make it much harder for a
determined faction to get its favorite, plus 2 idiots, in the finals.
Moreover, by making it 3 finalists, getting 2 idiots into the finals is
riskier, and getting just 1 into the finals is less likely to be
effective.

This method seems to correct some of the flaws associated with
Approval-based runoffs and similar methods, where a determined faction
might get its favorite plus a sacrificial lamb into the finals.

One final observation:  We've discussed before how CR methods might, at
least in a single-election context, give strong incentives to rate all
candidates either zero points or maximum points.  The desire to get 2
candidates into the finals would give a strong incentive to give both of
them maximum points, but the desire to make a difference in the finals
would give an incentive to give them different ratings.  Admitting the
candidate with the fewest failing grades makes it somewhat safer to
differentiate between candidates.