[EM] ERIRV vs Approval

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 7 16:46:03 PDT 2004

Now,this is a whole different topic than Approval vs ordinary IRV.

If there were only 2 choices, Approval & ERIRV, I'd prefer ERIRV(whole) to
Approval.

Probably ERIRV(fractional) too.

They both meet WDSC. With AERLO they meet SDSC.

So pretty much all Approval has over them is FBC. In return for that, they
give ICC & MMC, but without the accompanying WDSC failure. And, as I said,
with AERLO they meet SDSC.

Condorcet hasn't had a public acceptance terst yet, and so we can't know if
people will reject it as James described. Note the very favorable evaluation
that pairwise-count received in _Scientific American_ a few months. So it's
certainly too soon to settle for something less than Condorcet wv.

But I'd rather have ERIRV than margins Condorcet, because margiins Condorcet
doesn't even meet WDSC. Likewise most pairwise-count versions other than wv
Condorcet.

I've posted this before, but here's my brief ranking of some methods.
Methods not ranked aren't necessarily worse than those ranked. This ranking
only compares methods that are in the ranking.

1. Condorcet wv (preferably with AERLO or AERLO & ATLO)
2. Bucklin (preferably with AERLO)
3. ERIRV(whole) (preferably with AERLO)
4. ERIRV(fractional) (preferably with AERLO)
5. MCA
6. Approval
7. ordinary IRV, as proposed by CVD
8. Plurality.