[EM] approval vs. IRV: majority loser criterion

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sun Jun 6 20:13:05 PDT 2004

	Here is a definition of the majority loser criterion that is designed so
that limited-rank-ballot methods such as plurality and approval can't
weasel their way out of it:

"If a candidate is the sincere last choice of a majority of voters, and
that majority votes sincerely, then that candidate shouldn't win."

	As far as I can tell right now, Condorcet (winning votes or margins, even
without a Schwartz or Smith requirement) passes this criterion, and IRV
passes this criterion. Approval fails it. Let me give an example of this.

Sincere preferences, plus approval cutoffs
20: L>>A>B>C>D>E>F>G>H
15: A>>B>C>D>E>F>G>H>L
13: B>>A>C>D>E>F>G>H>L
12: C>>A>B>D>E>F>G>H>L