[EM] James A.: That's what it is? Real cool playful language.

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Jul 26 22:57:02 PDT 2004

Mike wrote:

>Oh, so that's what you were doing--getting serious points across :-)
>Actually you weren't getting anything across. Except for some sort of
>unexplained intent to dump a nonsense reply on my posting.

	The intention of my posting was to show you'all my arrow diagrams. Your
post talked about visual aids to explain the Schwartz/GOCHA set, so I
thought I'd share my own. If you've already seen diagrams like that
before, great. I was just trying to be helpful.

Mike wrote:
>Why do you hate America?
>No, of course I have no reason to believe that you do. You have no
>justification to say that I hate anything or anyone, or, in general, to
>speculate or guess about unstated opinions, attitudes or emotional
>states.
>Better to talk about what's known, and reply to what's said, not what you
>imagine.

	"Hating", as I used it, is slang for expressing hate, especially hate for
a person or thing. Similar to "hating on". Example: "Hey, don't hate on
Ralph Nader." "Hating" is more abbreviated and perhaps more general.
Related to being "a hater". (Not necessarily a "player hater", but just a
"hater" in general.)
	When I suggested that you were "hating" a lot, I meant that in your posts
you have shown a certain amount of anger, aggressiveness, insultingness...
This isn't true of all your posts, but I'd say a good many, including a
good many that have been directed toward myself. So I'm not talking about
the actual emotions you're experiencing--since I don't know what those
are--but rather what comes through in your writing.
	So what I was trying to say is, why all the anger? I wasn't trying to
insult you with my diagrams post, so why were you accusing me of being on
drugs, etc.?
	I have written a lot of very serious posts to this list, and put forward
very carefully-defined proposals and arguments. In some of my posts, I try
to have a little fun. Some of my posts are more serious than others. The
one I wrote the other night wasn't very serious. But in writing a
lighthearted post, I wasn't trying to express any disrespect for yourself
or your previous message. I just thought I'd share my arrow diagrams, and
the brief text that I wrote to introduce them was a bit silly. Silliness,
in my opinion, is not a cardinal sin, when it is in moderation. Actually,
I think that it can be healthy.
	So, again, why the anger? For example, why have you created this whole
separate thread just to criticize my little diagrams posting? If you
thought it was weird or pointless, why not just let it go? If you had
genuine questions about it, e.g. about the definition of the GETCHA and
GOCHA sets, why not just ask those questions without all the talk about
drug use?
	It seems to me that you go out of your way to create these weird verbal
fights. Frankly, I got tired of that kind of thing when I was still taking
the yellow school bus. Do you enjoy these arguments? Do you have a lot of
free-floating anger which you like to vent on people via these arguments?
Are you extremely insecure about the level of respect that people have for
you? Do you feel that your seniority on the list entitles you to the
obeisance of other posters? At this point I'm just guessing. But I do wish
that you wouldn't initiate these fights. I know that you have some
interesting things to say about voting methods, and so I wish that we
could maintain a cordial relationship based on the mutual interest in that
discussion. So how about you just cut it out with these personal attacks?
If you feel uncomfortable about a posting that was made, please try to
express your discomfort in a polite way, and we can try to work it out.
That is, please don't take it as an excuse to spray random insults at
people.

sincerely,
James

P.S. Of course I noticed your subject header with the name "James A.", an
abbreviation which I have repeatedly asked you not to use. Dude, that's
really, really childish, because it's obvious that you're using it for no
other reason than the fact that I asked you not to. What on Earth are you
trying to achieve with that? I honestly feel like I'm back in the third
grade... except that it's doubly weird because this is all on the
internet, and I've never even met you in person. Why hurl pointless
insults at people you've never even met?