[EM] But I propose Approval and don't propose ERIRV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 00:17:58 PDT 2004

When I said that ERIRV's advantages appeal to me more than those of
Approval, I should clarify that I propose Approval but not ERIRV, though
I've said it before.

I and others consider Approval & CR to be good public proposals, maybe the
best, for the reasons that we've all discussed--simplicity, brevity of
definition, ease of explaining, proposing and implementing. And minimal
change from Plurality. It's easier to propose one small (but important)
change in th existing method than to propose an entirely new method with an
entirely new balloting. And, with all that brevity & simplicity, Approval is
remarkably good.

And if you're going to propose a rank method, propose a really good one.
There are Condorcet versions that are at least as brief & simple as ERIRV.
PC & SD for instance.

Like many Condorcetists, I haven't had much experience explaining Condorcet
to people, though I've always meant to. Usually when there's an occasion to
suggest a better voting system, I suggest Approval, because there isn't time
to get into explanation & definition of Condorcet. A few times I've
described the general pairwise-count method to people, without usuallly
getting into circular ties and their solution. But PC & SD would be brief to
define. SD's rare nonmonotonicity isn't a practical problem, and IRVists
can't say anything about it.

One one occasion I explained SSD to someone who had no previous experience
with voting systems. That was someone who was interested in what I was
interested in, and was therefore interested in listening to the explanation
when I asked for her opinion about SSD.

Most likely, if I stopped people on a streetcorner, none of them would
listen to the definition of SSD. That doesn't mean that SSD can't be a
public proposal though--they could read the details later if they were
intersted.

But the interesting thing is that she really liked SSD, more than simpler
Condorcet versions that I mentioned. The Schwartz set has obvious appeal,
and SSD doesn't mention cycles, unlike the other Condorcet versions other
than PC. Though RP can be worded without saying "cycle", that meaning has to
be said in some way, and that just leaves a question about what the
substituted term means.

As I was saying before, I demonstated the Schwartz set by making dots on a
paper, representing candidates. I drew an ellipse and said "These candidates
are unbeaten by the others". I drew a smaller ellipse in the ellipse and
said that these also were unbeaten by anyone outside that smaller ellipse,
and that there were no more smaller ellipses in it. Obviously the candidates
in the inner ellipse are more qualified to win.

She wasn't just being nice; that wouldn't explain why she was certain that
she liked SSD better than SD. I hadn't indicated preference for one over the
other.

Sure, that's just one person, but it suggests that SSD is likeable.

Mike Ossipoff