[EM] Condorcet for public proposals - Tounament

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jan 29 17:02:56 PST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:38:15 -0500 Adam Tarr wrote:

> At 02:20 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, Rob Speer wrote:
>
>> I also approve of the word "tournament".
>

> Tournament isn't bad, but I think it's a trifle inaccurate, since nearly
> all sporting tournaments (College World series and a few others being
> notable exceptions) are single elimination.  While a single elimination
> matchup voting scheme would be Condorcet compliant, it's not what we're
> really advocating.
>
> I prefer "round robin voting" or "matchup voting", but I think
> "tournament voting" is OK too,

My dictionary says the kind of round robin we are discussing is a kind of
tournament:
      Point for you in being more precise.
      I still like tournament, seeing it as correct and more salable.

Golf has tournaments in which many, if not all, players play at the same
time, and their score is the sum of what they do over many holes.

>> In fact, here's a way I sometimes explain Condorcet vs. plurality:
>>
>> Say you have a bunch of basketball teams, and you want to find out which
>> one is the best. Do you have them all run onto a court at once and fight
>> over the ball? No - you have them compete two at a time, and hold a
>> tournament.
>>
>> Current plurality voting is like all the teams running onto the court at
>> once. Condorcet is like a round robin tournament.
>

> It seems like boxing is an easier analogy.  Say you have ten boxers and
> you want to know who is the best.
>
> Plurality - throw them in the ring, the last one standing is the winner.

      Each referee (voter) gets one vote as to which is best.

Approval -

     Each referee (voter) votes for as many as they consider to be

acceptable, but cannot indicate which of these they consider to be best.

> IRV - have a referee in the ring who pulls out anyone who's getting
> badly beaten.  Last one in the ring is the winner.

      Tempting BUT:

     Each referee (voter) gets one vote as to which is best.  Each voter

is also allowed to rank second, etc,, preferences such that, if their first

choice loses, the first of their preferences are ignored.

> Borda - the boxer with the most landed punches wins.

> Condorcet - have them fight one-on-one in a round robin.

      My shot (admittedly looks too wordy):
      Each voter lists all the candidates that they want to indicate as
better-than-last in preference order, such that listing "A" ">" "B" in
this order shows preference for A over B, no matter what other candidates
may be listed.

NOTE:  We need extra effort on Condorcet vs IRV because these two are similar.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.