[EM] To Bill Lewis Clark re: stepping-stone

Bill Lewis Clark wclark at xoom.org
Sat Jan 24 07:05:05 PST 2004

Eric Gorr wrote:

>> You have yet to show that IRV provides any benefit over Condorcet.

Dave Ketchum agreed:

> AGREED.

Number of potential presidential candidates supporting IRV: 2
(Dean and Kucinich)

Number of potential presidential candidates supporting Condorcet: 0

So far as getting some sort of new system in place, that's all the benefit
that really matters.  IRV is a realistic option, and Condorcet is not.

My whole point is that, from a practical standpoint, we're not talking
about Condorcet vs. IRV -- we're talking about IRV vs. Plurality.

Incidentally, I've read claims in the past that there are potential
scenarios in which IRV even does worse than Plurality, and I've conceded
these as being true but describing extremely unrealistic situations.
People have asked me in private correspondence what these situations might
be, and I can't construct any, so perhaps I conceded too much.

So, when (if ever) does IRV perform worse than Plurality?

-Bill Clark

--
Dennis Kucinich for President in 2004
http://www.kucinich.us/