[EM] To Bill Lewis Clark, re: Approval, CR, & IRV

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 07:54:01 PST 2004

Hello list

On the EM list there is much lengthy discussion of voting strategy, strategic
voting and the like. To gloss over lots of details it is generally presumed
that voters behave rationally and vote strategically to maximise the utility of
their outcome in an election.

Mike Ossipoff wrote:

>Don't vote for Kucinich in the primary. Vote for Sharpton. Then vote for
>Nader in the general election (or maybe Camejo if he wins the Greens'
>nomination)

I seem to remember that in the 2000 Presidential election the effect of
voting for Nader was to allow the (probable) Condorcet winner Gore to be defeated
by Bush.

Mike, it seems very strange that somebody who writes as much on voting
strategy as you do should come up with something like this when faced with the
question of how to vote in a real election.

David Gamble