[EM] Re: Election redistricting

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 13 07:26:02 PST 2004

I  haven't  followed this thread closely because I don't like
single-member districts and because I don't live in the US,
but I gather that that the talk is of   redistricting every ten years
 and replacing gerrymandering with automated "unbiased"
luck.
People might be interested to know that here in the Australian state
imaginatively called South Australia we have the electoral
boudaries redrawn after each State election (every four years)  by an
independent commission which is simply charged with,
on the basis of previous results and population movements and their
anticipated effect, trying to make districting  as  "fair" as
possible for the parties who regularly win seats. In other words,
instead of  an institutionalised gerrymander or  an  "automated
random" process, we have an institutionalised (honestly attempted)
 anti-gerrymander.
It is widely accepted that they do an  in-theory-impossible  job very well.

http://www.seo.sa.gov.au/apps/news/?sectionID=13

Chris Benham